Saturday, August 9, 2008

The White Sox Lost A Huge Fan

There doesn't seem to be a lot of celebrity White Sox fans. It's not as glamorous as being a celebrity Cubs fan or a Red Sox fan or a Yankees fan. They are out there, quietly watching the games and rooting for the South Side.

Today, there is one less. One of the more vocal White Sox celebrity fans was Bernie Mac. You can see him decked out in Sox gear at the 2005 World Series.


This wasn't one of those "celebrity" moments, where they show up to get some exposure on national television. Bernie loved his White Sox team. He was there through good times and bad. How do I know this? I don't know him personally.

I did go to a technical college with one of his nieces. Bernie paid the bills. He made sure his family was taken care of. He was that type of a man. He had the money, so his family was well provided for, because of that fact.

In the case of his niece, it made her a bit spoiled. But from speaking with her at great lengths during our schooling together, I could tell that the family structure was a caring nurturing environment. Bernie provided that stability with his success.

I didn't care for a lot of Bernie's work. I did like his baseball movie and when he had the right cameo, it worked. I never got into his television show, but I could still respect a man that cared that much for his family.

My thoughts go out to his family. There is one less Sox fan, and more importantly, one less family man in the world today. I am grateful that I got to see a little bit of the personal side of his life, through his family.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...