Friday, November 7, 2008

Card Spotlight: 11-07-08

1983 Topps #694 - Sparky Lyle SUPER VETERAN

I remember getting a Super Veteran card in my very first pack of cards. I don't remember who the player was. I want to say it was either Al Oliver or Joe Morgan. I think it might have been Al Oliver.

Anyway, I was almost hooked when I reached that card in the pack. I loved the early picture (usually on a different team) and the current picture side by side. I thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. If Topps wanted to bring this feature back, I wouldn't mind at all.

I finally got this card in a recent trade and I couldn't be happier with it. It has been one of my white whales of collecting. I am that much closer to completing the 1983 Topps team set. I know that I could have gotten this on eBay for $1.00, but I still think that is too much for a card of this caliber. Sparky Lyle isn't the best remembered veteran from this subset, so the cards aren't out there in the limelight as much.

Plus the mustache is the ultimate compliment of this card. It's odd to see Sparky without one in his earlier photo. It suits him well. I am honored to finally grant this card a home.

3 comments:

--David said...

I agree. Topps could bring this back and I'd be happy about it!

deal said...

I agree this would be a nice feature. I think it would be cool if they would rotate some of there subsets from the past. I wouldn't need this one every year but if it came up every 5th yr that would be cool.

I think this is one of the cards that survived from my original collection.

in 08 Sparky Lyle was coaching in the Atlantic League I think.

Paul Hadsall said...

That is a great card. The picture of Lyle in that hideous 1983-style jersey is priceless.

Sparky Lyle has managed the Somerset Patriots (Bridgewater NJ) in the independent Atlantic League since 1998. I'd imagine, though I'm not positive, that he'll be back next year.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...