Friday, February 5, 2010

Card Spotlight: 2-5-10

2007 Topps Triple Threads Sepia #73 - Jermaine Dye (277/559)

Many players are finding themselves without a team, as Spring Training approaches. Jermaine Dye seems to be one of them. At the time of this writing, he hasn't found a team. In January, he reportedly turned down $3.3 million from the Cubs, who gave that money directly to Xavier Nady.

Wherever Dye ends up, I will always have fond, fuzzy memories of his tenure with the White Sox. He was one of the key signings in the offseason before the magical 2005 season. There were many players deserving of World Series MVP in 2005, but it ultimately went to Dye.

When I got back into card collecting full time, in 2007, I was all over the place. I wanted to sample a little bit of everything. I still knew the value of money spent, so I never bought a box of Triple Threads. I was burned too badly with the fiasco of Moments & Milestones. It was an enjoyable box break, since it was my first since 1991, but it left an artificially numbered bad taste in my mouth.

Triple Threads seemed like a hit or miss product to me. Instead of wasting my money and hoping to recoup the price of a box with a hit, I opted to hunt down the base card singles and variations of just the White Sox. I have examples of every White Sox card, but no variation is yet complete. In some instances, I am only one card away from completing a variation.

This year, I am going to try to get this team set (and its variations) completed. Soon after, I hope to close the book on 2007. I know it will be next to impossible, but I think it can be done. Surely, it will be a simpler task than trying to complete 2008.

1 comment:

Roy said...

I'll always remember his shin snapping in half in the ALDS.

And his excellent power.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...