Wednesday, February 4, 2015

The First White Sox Card Of 2015 Is....

 Hey Tony LaRussa... do you know what time it is???

I can't hear you!!!

It's Pack Opening Day!!!

It is the first day for the first baseball card set of the new year. It's something I look forward to every year. Not only do I get to open a brand new pack for a brand new year, but after I open the first new pack of the year, it's that much closer to spring training, which in turn is that much closer to the new baseball season.

I had a 6 am start at work this morning, and with the snow that fell, it was a 4 am wake up just to get out of the driveway. A 2:30 pm end time at work guaranteed that I would not potentially have a new pack until 3 pm at the earliest. Since payday isn't until Friday, if Target didn't have the new release out on time (like last year), I wouldn't see any until next year. To fully understand that logic, it might help you to know that I had a Target gift card leftover from Christmas.

Luckily, Target had the hanging boxes in stock, but sadly nothing else. I grabbed two of the five boxes and headed to checkout. I get home and opened the packages.

The first White Sox card of 2015 is...
 177 - Paul Konerko

A tribute card to start of the year. There will be little looking back in 2015 for the White Sox. Not when the team has a shot to hit the postseason, but a look back to Konerko is always nice.

The second card is..
 65 - Alexei Ramirez

I had to wait until the second 72 card pack to find this card, but it was well worth it.

I had to wait until the last card in the second of two packs to find this gem.

A card commemorating the first home run of Jose Abreu's MLB career.

At Target today, the cashier was a Braves fan and didn't think much of his team's chances this year. I told him that I was a White Sox fan, and he could not name any of the offseason moves, except "those couple of guys from Oakland, right?" He then proceeded to tell me that Chicago is not a sports town and they have terrible teams. He cited that the White Sox would not be good this season and the Bears were bad. I reminded him of the Blackhawks, which he conceded, and the Bulls.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I think the White Sox will turn some heads this year, if only to prove the cashier wrong.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...