Wednesday, November 18, 2009

1983 All-Star Game Program Inserts

Unlike most sets, I really don't know much about this set. From the listing of the set, I would assume that these were inserts in the 1983 All-Star Game program. Even if the history of the cards elude me, I can still enjoy them.

The insert set itself is 180 cards. They seem to be separated by position and then arranged by alphabetical order. The cards only measure 2 inches by 1 1/4 inches, so they are tiny!

Of the 180 cards, there are only six cards featuring White Sox players.

6 - Tom Paciorek
40 - Carlton Fisk
47 - Harold Baines
59 - Greg Luzinski
75 - Richard Dotson
81 - Dennis Lamp

This is a cool little set. The cards are paper thin and remind me of a cross between postage stamps and vending machine stickers. This set is so oddball, that I can't even find it in the Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards.

I think it's pretty neat to have a set of White Sox inserts from an All-Star Game played at Comiskey Park. It's a great way to remember the event. Hopefully, I'll be able to track down more of these sets from different years.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have a few of the Reds. I believe they are hand-cut out of the program, but I am not positive. They are interesting, but at the same time a bit of a hassle because of the size and apparent rarity.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...