Friday, November 27, 2009

Card Spotlight: 11-27-09

2006 SP Legendary Cuts #62 - Sloppy Thurston

When I first got back into collecting cards in 2007, I tried to make up for thirteen years of absence by sampling every product I could get my hands on. The second hobby box I purchased from the local card shop was 2006 SP Legendary Cuts.

I instantly fell in love with the product. If I was thinking clearly back then, I probably would have finished the set. Instead, I showed great restraint and only collected the White Sox cards in the set. I sold the rest through eBay.

Back then, I solely focused on the White Sox cards in each set. Since then, I have expanded that original criteria into chasing one complete set and a few players that I admire. Mainly, I have stuck to my guns.

I'm a sucker for cards that feel retro without actually "borrowing" from a classic design. If a company fills a set with retired players that normally don't get a lot of "card love" nowadays, I will usually gravitate towards that set. If I ever get into a lull in my card collecting, I may decide to chase this set.

The design is sharp and it looks even better in person. The scan does not do the card proper justice. It even feels different. It's printed on very solid stock and at first glance reminded me of porcelain.

Last year, the unexpected happened. SP Legendary Cuts turned into some type of hybrid product which featured mostly current players. It was not one of my favorite releases of 2008. 2009 continued that trend. If you are intrigued by baseball history and love collecting retired players, you can't go wrong with this set from 2007 or earlier. It's a shame that card companies tinker with a winning formula. I can still concentrate on the earlier sets. So I got that going for me.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...