Sunday, December 9, 2018

Congratulations Harold!!!!

Congratulations, Harold! It's been a long time coming and well deserved.

When I first started this blog back in November 2007, it was mainly a way to keep track of my cards. I didn't envision anything else. Maybe a few people would see it and get a smile or two.

One of my earliest endeavors was being an unsolicited advocate for Harold Baines to be in the Hall of Fame. I got a lot of negativity towards my dream (but never to me personally) and if there were kind words for that goal, they were mostly there so I wouldn't pull out statistics and anecdotes.

There were a few believers, but the conversation usually went, "it would be nice if it happened, but it will never happen" or, "If he gets in before (insert favorite Hall of Very Good player), I'll be very angry". Every one of you had valid points and I respected those opinions. I held out hope, even when Harold was dropped from the ballot.

Both the players that I grew up admiring and respecting are now in the Hall of Fame. I'm happy. I chose my heroes very carefully and I feel like I've been rewarded for sticking with them and not choosing flashy, burn brightly and quickly type of players.

Carlton Fisk and Harold Baines both played the game right and had the patience to let their work on the field do the talking for them. This was especially the case with Harold. He is probably more shy than I am. He had a long career and I can only remember him speaking a handful of times.

I should also say congrats to Lee Smith. I always believed he should be in the Hall of Fame too and here he is.

I could gloat about Harold, but I'm not going to. I could break down reasons why this election is justified, but I won't. I'll just let the news do the speaking for me.

Congratulations, Harold!

7 comments:

JediJeff said...

Nice to see the veterans pick up on what we always knew here on the south side. Gonna be great to see another Sox plaque in Cooperstown.

John Sharp said...

Congrats! Well deserved for you and all the ChiSox fans.

Rob said...

Hoping that block "SOX" is on his hat!

Jason T. Carter said...

Gotta say I didn't see that coming. I'm certainly not opposed to his election, but it's a surprise.

The Snorting Bull said...

I was really surprised he made it. I know there are a lot of happy White Sox fans.

Sludge said...

In response to Fisk "playing the game right," whatever that means, Bill James wrote a great essay on how Fisk basically ruined a White Sox season by refusing to move to a different position. Yep, the kind of teammate I want.

Steve Gierman said...

Sludge,

What I meant by "playing the game right" was not taking shortcuts or taking the easy path for short term gains. Fisk and Baines both had long careers and this was due to their long preparations before and after the game, as well as their play during the game.

I would love a link to this Bill James essay. It sounds like a fascinating read. Bill James is entitled to his opinion, as are you, but I fail to see how refusing to move positions would ruin a season. Fisk did spend a lot of time in other positions besides catcher for the White Sox. I can remember the left field fiasco in 1986 and 1987. He's also logged a lot of time at first base, designated hitter and third base for the White Sox. If Fisk was blocking Ron Karkovice from becoming a full time catcher sooner, I agree with his alleged refusal.

Besides, Fisk signed with the White Sox another four times in free agency (including 1993) after he initially signed with them in March 1981. If he was the main culprit for ruining a season for the White Sox, they had plenty of opportunities to be rid of him.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...