Saturday, December 20, 2008

MLB Network Is Live... Sort Of

Ever since the inception of the NFL Network, I've waited patiently for MLB to create a network. I've watched the NBA join in and still nothing from MLB.

The wait is over. The MLB Network is now testing feeds on various cable and satellite outlets. Here, in Chicago, I've been watching programming about the 2004 World Series on Comcast cable channel 410.

The station goes live on January 1, 2009 at 5PM central time. If your television provider will be arrying the MLB Network in 2009, chances are there's programming being tested right now.

Looks like Christmas came early, which is good. I'll be spending most of next week at my future in-laws' house. They only have basic cable, so I won't be basking in any MLB goodness to lift my winter moods caused by ice covered snow.

8 comments:

Joe Martelli Jr. said...

I'm fired up for this as well. We got over a foot of snow here in Boston this weekend, but that's OK, in a couple of weeks I'll be watching baseball 24/7. I believe they are planning on showing Winter League games as well as full coverage of the WBC.

Dave said...

I can't wait for MLB Network! I'll be watching a ton of it. I can't stand watching ESPN during the offseason with all of their football and basketball coverage.

night owl said...

Wow, a reason to turn on my TV! (I agree with Dave. ESPN's obsession with football/basketball has caused me to stop watching the network between November and March).

I'll have to see if they're testing in my neck of the woods! (as soon as I finish reading everyone's blog).

MarieBay said...

I agree as well, ESPN is a snooze during the baseball off-season. I have the YES Network, which airs a lot of old school Yankees classic games as they call them. I can watch them when they knew how to win... sigh...

MLB Network will be fun, I saw it on my program guide but didn't check it out as of yet.

deal said...

I am looking forward to MLB, but I hope it is better than NFL network. Unless they have one of their games on all that they ever have is commercials.

MLB will be covering the World Baseball Classic which I am looking forward to.

MLB Network is on FiOS in the Philadelphia area.

Steve Gierman said...

From what I could tell last night, the test was a loop of the 2004 World Series story, narrated by Denis Leary. It's a start!

Sooz said...

I can't in good faith support the MLB Network.

While they decided that getting a new network, MLB.com laid off 20 people, including the Philadelphia Phillies beat writer, who happens to be my friend.

So, I won't be watching for quote some time.

Steve Gierman said...

Sorry to hear about that Sooz.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...