Thursday, December 18, 2008

Shoeless Joe Pulled, Consumers Weep

First, read this. Up to speed? Good.

Why do manufacturers seed the product given to Beckett? Is it for a cheap thrill? Is it to showcase their product?

They tell us that the boxes sent are random. They tell us that these pulls are representative of their product. They say that you too could have a chance at pulling these cards, if you only buy the product.

Do we really need another scandal involving Joe Jackson? This time I know that he's innocent! Unless a 57 year old corpse can "fix" a box of baseball cards, I doubt he had any wrongdoing in this one.

This isn't the first "pull of a lifetime" that Beckett has pulled. This is not luck anymore, it's fraud. The companies that are sending this seeded product over to Beckett to be opened on camera should be ashamed of themselves.

Does this make me want to run out and buy their product with my limited funds? NO! This makes me want to stay far away from every box that I see Beckett open. If Beckett is pulling these amazing cards, what could there possibly be left for me? Not a whole lot.

My "pull of a lifetime" came a short while ago. The problem? I wasn't the one that got to open it. Still, I got the Willie Mays material card numbered to ten. That's the important thing. That card will probably be the best thing I will ever pull in my lifetime. And it was all pure luck.

I'm a White Sox collector. When I see a card that I would love to pull being "found" in a pack, two weeks before the product shelves, by a company that was given the box for publicity purposes, I'm going to be more than a little mad about it. I'm going to be furious!

A Shoeless Joe Jackson dual bat relic numbered to 25 is not representative of the product. These cards need to be in the hands of people that plunked down hard earned money to buy a pack or a box or even a case, in some instances. If the companies want the product to be seen, they should provide scans of every card they produce.

The odds of me ever pulling one of those cards out of the product just plummeted downward astronomically. If I pull this card from my one spot in one box of this product, I will probably have to be rushed to the hospital. My chest will start to hurt and Satan will be wearing ice skates on my front lawn.

6 comments:

night owl said...

What does Beckett do with these monster pulls?

Steve Gierman said...

That's an excellent question. One that I don't have a full answer to. Some cards do go into giveaways, but I can't find information on where the rest goes.

stusigpi said...

I think they sell some of these on the Bay. I have seen some unopened wax as well on their list of items for sale.

This is horrible for collectors. I bust a ton of wax and don't get pulls like this. Let alone 10 or so of them. Gellman had a list of their pulls on his site a few days ago.

That is why DLP/Topps/Upper Deck should give the products to real bloggers and let us bust them every once in a while. I wouldn't be mad if Night Owl, White Sox, cardboard addiction or someone like that pulled this card.

Steve Gierman said...

I would have no problem if someone from the blogging community pulled that card under that scenario.

What I would most like to see? Cards like that make it to the average collector more often.

Charlie said...

So, it would be ok if DLP or UD sent a hand-packed loaded high end box to Mario?

Guys, read my comment on Gellman's post. There are 1,000's of MONSTROUS cards they could have pulled from this set and didn't.

Steve Gierman said...

I agree that none of companies should send out free boxes like this, but if they are going to do it, the lesser of two evils would be sending out boxes to people who would actually enjoy them and expose the product to interested parties.

This way, an honest reaction to an outstanding pull would be on camera and the information would still get out to the intended audience.

That being stated, I don't think that the card companies should intentionally seed the product sent out for publicity purposes.

There may be thousands of monstrous pulls in the product, but when these monstrous pulls are being pulled in box break after box break, it gets a little suspicious.

I don't know of anyone that has had this much luck in that little time, with that few boxes. That tells me that there is something rotten going on.

If a company intentionally seeds the product, that means that the odds of you getting any of these cards do not match the stated odds.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...