Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Trading With Olagato House

The next package that came yesterday was from Nicole, of Olagato House. We've been working on a trade since around March. December is the month to tie up loose ends, so this one is all sewn up!

I'm glad that the trade took so long. If not, half of these goodies wouldn't have been in there! OK, to be honest with you, most of them wouldn't be in there, since most are 2008 releases. Patience is a virtue and with that comes great reward. I feel like that applies here.

Along with the cards was a personalized note dated December 10, 2008. Nicole must have gotten an A in penmanship because her handwriting is exquisite. She gave me free reign to mock the lavender painters tape, but I won't. Purple is my second favorite colorful color and lavender is my favorite shade. So, bonus points for that!

In the closing of the note, she expressed sympathies for the loss of my cat. That means a lot. Thank you for that.

Let's see what was in the long awaited package.

1992 Upper Deck Minors
208 – Steve Olson

1993 Stadium Club
181 – Wilson Alvarez

1994 Donruss
201 – Mike LaValliere
220 – Tim Raines CL

2006 Topps SI For Kids
17 – Tadahito Iguchi

2006 Topps Opening Day
134 – Jermaine Dye

2007 Bowman Heritage Pieces Of Greatness
PG-PK – Paul Konerko

2007 Turkey Red
13 – Play At The Plate (Joe Crede)

2007 Upper Deck Triple Play Performers
TP-JT – Jim Thome

2008 Allen & Ginter Mini
41 – Paul Konerko

2008 Allen & Ginter Mini Black
76 – Jim Thome

2008 Baseball Heroes
187 – Carlton Fisk (Carl Yastrzemski, Wade Boggs)

2008 Topps Heritage
494 – Magglio Ordonez

2008 Topps Heritage High Numbers
505, 520, 525, 541, 556, 629, 653, 670, 674, 678, 680, 688, 720

2008 Topps Heritage High Numbers Rookie Performers
RP5 – Kosuke Fukudome

2008 Upper Deck Diamond Collection
DC-15 – Nick Swisher

2008 Upper Deck Star Quest
SQ-26 – Jim Thome (Common)
SQ-54 – Paul Konerko (Common)
SQ-54 – Paul Konerko (Un-Common)

Upper Deck Timeline
17 – Ken Griffey Jr.
36 – Jim Thome
73 – Alexei Ramirez
235 – Ken Griffey Jr.

2008 Yankee Stadium Legacy
214, 1194, 3961

Thank you, Nicole! That was a great package. It was definitely worth the wait.

Something seemed odd about the back of the Ken Griffey Timeline card. I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but something was out of place. Then it hit me. That wasn't Griffey on the scoreboard. The picture looked a little like Konerko, if I squinted just right. But it wasn't him.

Then, I looked to the left and saw Tony Graffanino's name as being currently at-bat.
Wha?????!!!!


OK, this seemed odd indeed! Graffanino hasn't been on the White Sox in quite some time. I put the two images together for comparison.

Then, I noticed the White Sox pitcher's name. Colon. That narrows it down to 2003. I did some sluething after that! The only game in which Bartolo Colon pitched, Tony Graffanino batted eighth, at Comiskey Park, where the score was a 3-0 White Sox lead after an inning and a half was... July 22, 2003 against the Indians!

What a July 22, 2003 picture of Comiskey Park is doing on a 2008 card of Ken Griffey Jr., I'll never know. Thanks for the mystery and thanks for the cards!

4 comments:

night owl said...

Do card companies think we're not going to figure that stuff out? Honestly, I think Topps, UD, etc., are held together with Scotch tape. How in the world do they not have a current photo of Comiskey?

Anyway, some nice cards there.

gcrl said...

i wonder if they just used the same stadium shot they used in the 2004 timeless teams set. that would explain the 2003 date. although i am not sure there was a white sox team represented in that set. plus, they used an exterior shot of three rivers for the pirates but now would need a pnc park shot, so you would hope they would update the pics.

morineko said...

Sorry about the delay in commenting! I'm glad you liked the cards and I hope they filled in your wantlists (and that you hadn't actually realized that the checklist cards I sent had Sox on them, because if you had that would have meant that you already had them.)

Wow, that's interesting about the Timeless Teams card. You've probably seen me around ranting about reuse of the same pictures over and over again on cards, but that's a definite indication that they don't really take new pictures of anything unless they absolutely have to.

Steve Gierman said...

I had the 1994 Donruss checklist, but that one is listed.

I got a lot of great cards checked off my want list.

Thanks again!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...