Thursday, December 4, 2008

Cards That Never Were #1

Partially inspired by PunkRockPaint Enterprises LLC, and partially bummed that these cards do not exist, I have decided to try to create White Sox cards that never were.

Harold Baines was the number one overall pick of the 1977 draft. He played 141 games in his 1980 rookie year. He was scouted by Bill Veeck when he was 12! He tore through the minor leagues and was destined to be on the team in 1980.

Yet despite all these things, Harold Baines does not have a card in the 1980 Topps set. I suppose if Topps bothered to put out a traded set in 1980, Harold probably would have been in it. But history shows that they did not.

First of all, I scavenged the net for an image of Harold in the collared uniform that was not widely used on a card. Luckily, I found an image of a photo on eBay and that did the trick. I scanned in a 1980 card of Ralph Garr (since he played in the outfield too) and edited him out of the card. Sorry about that, Roadrunner!

I scanned in one of my Harold Baines autographs, cut out everything except the autograph and slapped it on. Since the 1980 Topps set has a facsimile autograph on the front, I knew that this fake card had to have one as well.

A quick font and color check to change the name... and there you have it. Topps couldn't have done a better job! Now we have an image of what should have been Harold's true rookie card!

12 comments:

Scott C. said...

I really enjoy various people's take on the "cards that never were" feature. In fact I've done a few of my own on Green Monster based on the 09 Topps design. Nice job!

Fleerfan said...

Steve,

Excellent job! What a great looking card! I love the pose with the scoreboard in the background.

Jeffrey Wolfe said...

This card looks fantastic!

zman40 said...

You found a great picture for that card. I cannot get enough of that uniform. Besides the collar, I love the white, stirrup-less, socks. Great card.

night owl said...

I have no idea how to do stuff like this. Your description of how you did it is a step in the right direction for me, but I think I just need a video of someone doing it to get the idea. I'm just dimwitted in this area, I guess.

Steve Gierman said...

Thanks for the support everyone!

I've enjoyed everybody else's takes on these, so I thought I'd try a few myself.

deal said...

You actually did a better job then topps. On this years Topps Trading Card History insert of the 1980 card Topps didn't even bother to add the facsimile auto. See the card here of Robsinson Cano.

http://phungo.blogspot.com/2008/07/1980-topps-tch-69-robinson-cano.html

Johngy said...

That is awesome. It might have been my favorite Baines card of all!

One of my favorite cards that never were idea would be Mike Squires 1976. First, because I am a Squires fan. Second, I love the 76 set. Third, it would have featured him in the old red and blues.

I have only seen one pic of Squires in that uni, but I was too late on Ebay to grab it.

PunkRockPaint said...

It has come to my attention that you have made an unauthorized use of my copyrighted work entitled PunkRockPaintification of Baseball Cards (the "Work") in the preparation of a work derived therefrom. I have reserved all rights in the Work, first published in April 2007, [and have registered copyright therein]. Your work entitled "Cards That Never Were #s 1 and 2" is essentially identical to the Work and clearly used the Work as its basis. PunkRockPaint, Inc has copyright over the use of cool art throughout the baseball card blogosphere. Any artistic works (i.e., sketches, line drawings, digital manipulations, paintings, charcoal etchings, cave paintings, skywriting, baloon animals, shadow puppets, etc.) must retain expressed written consent of PunkRockPaint, Inc.

As you neither asked for nor received permission to use the Work as the basis for "Cards That Never Were #s 1 and 2" nor to make or distribute copies, including electronic copies, of same, I believe you have willfully infringed my rights under 17 U.S.C. Section 101 et seq. and could be liable for statutory damages as high as $1 (or equivalent card trade) as set forth in Section 504(c)(2) therein.
I demand that you immediately cease the use and distribution of all infringing works derived from the Work, and all copies, including electronic copies, of same, that you deliver to me, if applicable, all unused, undistributed copies of same, or destroy such copies immediately and that you desist from this or any other infringement of my rights in the future. If I have not received an affirmative response from you by April 1, 2009 indicating that you have fully complied with these requirements, I shall take further action against you.

Very truly yours,

Travis Peterson
PunkRockPaint
Legal Counsul

Andy said...

Steve--that's absolutely fantastic. Kudos.

dayf said...

Holy crap, that's a good looking card. Better than 99% of the originals!

Steve Gierman said...

deal, that is one ugly Cano card!

Johngy, if you can find an image of Squires in that uniform, e-mail it to me and I will make a card.

Travis, I am honored to have a cease and desist letter from you.

I think if this card were part of the set, it would have been THE iconic card for that year.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...