Monday, December 8, 2008

Cards That Never Were #3

Carlton Fisk played two games with the Boston Red Sox in September 1969. He didn't return to the majors until 1971.

If Topps, in 1970, ran like today's card companies, there would have been at least a card of Fisk in 1970. More than likely, there would have been cards of him littering the scene right after he was drafted, in 1967.

Since he played in late September 1969, we'll assume the card companies didn't jump the gun and issued his first true rookie card in 1970.

I suppose that Fisk impressed no one in his two 1969 games. With an average of .000, I can see why Topps didn't think enough of him to include Carlton in their sets until 1972. In his 1971 call up, things were different. Fisk tore through his 14 games and ended up with a .313 average.

If Topps had the foresight, this card would have been in existence. Instead, we get to see it almost forty years later.

7 comments:

Johngy said...

Awesome card. I love this series!

With my well-known knack for following the lesser-known guys, I'd love to see someone like 1981 Ricky Seilheimer-C, a guy who never had a card.

Steve Gierman said...

If you can find me photos of anyone that your thinking of, e-mail them to me and I'll make a card. A quick search of Ricky Seilheimer turned up no photos.

PunkRockPaint said...

That's a beaut right there!!!

Johngy said...

Yeah, I tried Seilheimer and found nothing. You do a great job with these. I'll have to think of a few good ones that are feasible to get.

The Baseball Card Snob said...

That's a sweet looking card. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Lovely photo and treatment, but I doubt Topps would have put out a 1970 Fisk card featuring pudge in the double-knit unis the Sox didn't adopt until 1972. Now if you can find a shot of young Carlton in the button-ups (maybe from a spring camp?) that would be awesome.

Steve Gierman said...

If you can point me to a decent sized age appropriate photo without a watermark, I'll gladly redo the card.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...