Monday, April 13, 2009

What Is Going On Today?

I was sitting in a comfortable chair watching the White Sox beat up on the Tigers, when Ken Harrelson announced the death of Harry Kalas during the game. I could immediately hear that voice. It almost seemed appropriate that he collapsed in the booth, before the game.

After the White Sox game, I heard rumblings about Mark Fidrych. Apparently, he was working on a dump truck and an accident cost Mark his life.

Just as that was sinking in, I ran across an article claiming that actress Marilyn Chambers was found dead by her daughter.

That's a lot of celebrity death to take in one day! April seems to be the cruelest month this year.

6 comments:

RoofGod said...

They say that death's come on threes's, but not usually in one day. Gonna miss "The Bird" he was always good for a topic of discussion on our local sports talk here in Detroit.

Matt Runyon said...

Mark will be missed. He was a lot of fun to watch in the summer on 1976.

Unknown said...

any post that mentions Marilyn Chambers deserves a comment . . . the summer of 1976 with "the Bird" and "Behind the Green Door" . . . a sad sad sad day it is.

Andy said...

Steve I need you to enter and win this contest:

http://tradedsets.blogspot.com/2009/04/traded-sets-baseball-challenge-week-2.html

I've got some nice cards to share with you.

Steve Gierman said...

OK, consider it done. Last week's contest already had too many entries for my taste when I had gotten to it.

Matt said...

My grandparents loved "The Bird" and they also loved "Oil Can" Boyd. I guess they like the characters.

Fidrych was certainly a real character and he will be missed.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...