Friday, April 10, 2009

Card Spotlight: 4-10-09

1993 Toys 'R' Us #58 - Robin Ventura

While most of us were trying to move away from the stereotype that baseball cards were for kids, Toys 'R' Us was continuing its tradition of producing a baseball card set. They produced a rookie set from 1987 until 1991. In 1993, they produced their last sets featuring stars instead of rookies.

I like this card of Robin Ventura. It features an innocence that only a card sold at a kids' store could feature. It isn't overly kiddish, but it has just the right touches. It almost reminds me of a McDonald's issue from the early nineties.

It's nice to see Robin Ventura in a set. Usually, it was Frank Thomas dominating the card sets. Frank pops up in this set too, but Ventura pops up first.

The way the text is set up on the front of the card, it reminds me of I.R. Baboon from the I.M. Weasel cartoon. Young Star "R" Robin Ventura. Sure it's a stretch, but that's what first popped into my head, when I saw that.

5 comments:

Hayden said...

I was thinking Toys R Us...

Hayden said...

Wow, I'm sorry about that comment. I literally read the last paragraph and stopped there. I didn't even see the Toys R Us in the top corner.

I blame this one on "reading" too many blogs!

H

Steve Gierman said...

No problem! :)

Happens to me all the time.

--David said...

Cool card - and one of my favorite kinds - oddball! I mean the card, not the player!

Laurens said...

I remember purchasing a set of those cards, where it came a stadium dome 'style' of packaging and also featured a set of 5x7'master photos.'

It is like these Toys R' Us cards got the Stadium Club treatment back in the early 1990s.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...