Friday, October 24, 2008

Card Spotlight 10-24-08

2008 Donruss Americana Sports Legends - Pete Rose/Joe Jackson

Will I ever own this card? Probably not. When I saw it at Sports Card Info, I knew I wasn't the only one intrigued by its existence.

What does this mean for the hobby? It doesn't look like a lot, but it means a great deal for the hobby itself. I want Pete Rose, Joe Jackson and many others to be a part of future releases. I'm getting burnt out on Mickey Mantle and the go to guy for retired players.

I would like to see players from all teams get the respect that they so richly deserve. Where would the game be without these pioneers, who did amazing things on the field. As a White Sox fan, my veterans are either Luis Aparicio, who is sometimes pictured as an Oriole, Minnie Minoso, who is sometimes pictured as an Indian and Luke Appling. That's pretty much it.

Sure, I'll get an occasional Harold Baines or Carlton Fisk thrown my way, but what about Ted Lyons? I can't remember the last time I saw a card of him. There are many forgettable players on every team, but there are memorable players who are forgotten. Either because of a banishment or contract dispute or some other slight.

It's time that we got some of these other deserving players on cards. I was hoping for SP Legendary Cuts to continue in that tradition, but Upper Deck has turned that release into a farce this year. Maybe a release will come out in 2009 that will satisfy those needs. Until then, I'm happy to see Pete and Joe back on cardboard.

2 comments:

night owl said...

I wonder what the card back says. Do they make SOME sort of reference to the two being banned from the Hall? If they don't, the card annoys me. ... I agree with what you say about the same players being featured over and over. Same goes for today's cards. Constant cards of Luke Hochevar and Ricky Weeks and others. You can pick up 5 or 6 versions of these guys each year. Meanwhile, I'll be watching a game on TV and realize that the player I'm watching doesn't have 1 card in a major set.

Steve Gierman said...

Haven't seen the back yet. This product won't be released until December. It will feature players from multipe sports.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...