Friday, October 17, 2008

A Hand Collated Trade

It seems that 1990 Topps is the popular not quite yet vintage card set to complete by hand lately. Over the past two weeks, I have sent out three different packages with just 1990 Topps cards in them.

This was the first set I started collecting during my second wave of card collecting. I am on my third and final wave. During my first wave, I was the rookie. I was just glad to be part of the game. During my second wave, I was the cocky superstar. I wanted everything and I wanted it NOW. So far, my third wave can be described as the grizzled, wise veteran. I know what I want and how to get that done. I know I'll never have everything. I now focus on what's important. I concentrate on things I do well and end up excelling at them.

Pretty much, everything that is not in the realm of what I collect is up for trade. I'm OK with that. I've hand picked what I collect and the rest is usually trying to find a home elsewhere.

I saw a list for 1990 Topps at Hand Collated and thought that I had a bunch of 1990 Topps cards just sitting there, doing nothing. An idea formed in my brain. I can trade off whatever I could find from the list and possibly get things that I needed in return.

"What a novel idea", I thought.

The 1990 Topps will always hold a special place in my heart, but I got what I wanted out of the set. I only completed my White Sox team set a few months ago. If these overproduced cards can find a loving home, I'm all for it.

Here's what Scott sent back in return.

1989 Score #399 - Bobby Thigpen
1989 Score #607 - Jim Eppard
2008 UD YSL #2334 (08/19/1952)
2008 UD YSL #4368 (08/09/1979)

This trade completes my 1989 Score White Sox team set. As it turns out, I was only one card away from completion. When I am doing years on the want list, I try to visually see every card and try to do a little bit of research. The site that I use, made a mistake and claimed that Jim Eppard was part of the White Sox team set. He was not. Jim was a first baseman for the Angels.

There aren't many mistakes at the site I use as a guide, but human error isn't totally out of the realm either. This was just one that I didn't catch. Probably because of the year. The White Sox had so many people on the team in the late eighties, some names completely escape me, so Jim being on the White Sox was plausible. Oh well, live and learn. I appreciate the card though.

The other two cards get me two cards closer to completing the White Sox set of Yankee Stadium Legacy cards. It's still a long way to go, but every little bit helps. I'm just glad that I didn't decide to collect the whole gigantic thing. That would be crazy.

Thanks, Scott! These four cards make a nice dent in my collection in very important places. I can scratch one team set off the list and I have two more pesky YSL cards out of the way.

4 comments:

Dinged Corners said...

Was that really you commenting on Fielder's Choice ALCS Game 5 post, or have you been hijacked?

tastelikedirt said...

What site do you use for finding the team/player cards.

Steve Gierman said...

I use teamsets4u.com to start off, then try to figure the rest out. It saves a bunch of time, but there is the rare mistake.

tastelikedirt said...

Oh, thanks a lot.I've been trying to figure out some stuff but didn't know where to look.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...