Wednesday, October 29, 2008

A Card I Will Probably Never Own

Two years in a row, I've been screwed by Upper Deck. I realized after 2007 was over that there wasn't an update set. I was cautiously optimistic when I saw a 200 card update set scheduled for 2008.

Closer and closer the date approached and then it happened. The update set had been cancelled. No explanation was given. The most likely excuse? Lack of interest.

Lack of interest? Hardly. Did Upper Deck need to put out an update to their First Edition? No. Did they need to put out Upper Deck X? Clearly no. So why did they cancel an update to the base release?

The base sets and update sets to those same base sets should be left alone. Those are called "base" for a reason. I, personally, look forward to the update sets at the end of the season. This will sometimes be the only shot I have at getting some players pictured in a White Sox uniform. End of July rent-a-players can be tricky to get cards of. By the time the next year's releases are out, most of those rent-a-players have moved on to different teams.

This is the only opportunity for some of these players to be pictured on certain teams. Unless said player does some remarkable feat or becomes a postseason hero, this is it for capturing them on cardboard on certain teams.

Topps and Upper Deck have both taken turns in my doghouse this year for bonehead decisions. Topps more often than Upper Deck, but it seems that Upper Deck wants to even things out before the end of the year. This is a fantastic start to that goal.

Thank you to Hand Collated for the image of Griffey's deleted Update card.

8 comments:

Ryan Cracknell said...

Dang. I hadn't heard it'd been canceled. I was looking forward to the monster box that held Series One and Two as well.

Watch them toss the "Update" cards in with the 2009 stuff. UD Update looked like a nice gimmick-free set that served a definite purpose.

morineko said...

This is a disappointment to me as well, for quite similar reasons.

(I'm planning on trying to do NaBloPoMo, so my post on that is being saved for November. But, yeah, it's hard for me to collect what I like when what I like never gets released!)

dayf said...

Topps and Upper Deck are canceling stuff like mad. They are probably scared to death of the recession and are retrenching. They should be scared, 2008 has been disappointing so far in my opinion and I'll bet 2009 is more of the same.

stusigpi said...

What else has been canceled?

Steve Gierman said...

Hand Collated mentioned in his article that Topps Sterling Football and Topps Predictor Basketball were among the deceased.

gcrl said...

i feel your pain. i was looking forward to a nice full bleed manny card in dodger blue. he'll be photoshopped into pinstripes for 2009 series one.

Jason T. Carter said...

I just want the Griffey. I couldn't care less about the rest of the set. Just give me the Griffey, UD. Please, UD. Just the Griffey.

Steve Gierman said...

I'd just like the cancelled White Sox cards. If they ever leak out, I want them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...