Friday, May 7, 2010

Cards That Never Were #24

1967 Topps - Robin Roberts

As news of the death of Robin Roberts started to reach everyone yesterday, I looked over his career stats, like most people did, and discovered that he never had a Cubs card. I made it a top priority to make one.

The task turned into a monumental one, when the only picture I could find of Robin in a Cubs uniform was about the size of a postage stamp. I tried to make it work, but it just did not look good.

I figured that some entrepreneur would use eBay to cash in on his death and I would eventually run across a usable Cubs picture. Sure enough, when I checked late into the evening, there was an autographed picture of Robin in a Cubs uniform, with an autograph in blue straight across the chest.

I try to refrain using eBay for pictures, but sometimes I have absolutely no choice. I had made the 1967 Topps Cubs card template earlier in the day, so all I had to do was drop the picture in and I'd have a completed card.

Easier said than done. First I had to get rid of the autograph, only to put another one on instead. There were three problems with the original autograph. It was in a spot where it might be obscured by the Cubs name. The autograph was a bit too small in relation to the picture size for the card. Most troublesome... the autograph was originally blue.

So I painstakingly removed the autograph, only to put another one on in its place. It sounds like a lot of work for nothing, but it really does make the finished product look much more authentic.

Rest in peace, Robin. I only wish that I was able to do this one before you passed. At least we now have a Cubs card to commemorate every stop in your Major League journey.

8 comments:

deal said...

Well done as always - Thanks!

Not only is this series fun, but it is very often quite informative.

Johngy said...

I was thinking about you when I heard that Roberts died. You are fast, as well as meticulous.

Jim said...

What a great card - thanks for sharing!

Orioles Magic said...

Great effort Steve. I don't know how you do it!

Jim from Downingtown said...

This is a nice companion card to the 1967 Curt Simmons card (also with the Cubs), as they were the key Phillies' pitchers of the 1950s.

Well done!

John said...

Hi, Didn't know how to contact you but I borrowed this image for one of my posts.

http://cardsthatneverwere.blogspot.com/2014/01/30-tribute-card-project-part-2.html

I credited you and even privided a link to your site. Hope you don't mind.

Thanks, John

John said...

Provided not privided. oops.

Steve Gierman said...

John,

It completely fine. Thanks for crediting. :-)

Great post!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...