Sunday, May 23, 2010

Cards That Never Were #31

1970 Topps - Jim Bouton

During the 1969 season, Jim Bouton was traded from the Seattle Pilots to the Houston Astros. He would stay with the Astros until his first retirement midway through the 1970 season.

After my first card of Bouton, many have requested the 1970 Topps card. Well, here it is in all its glory. I decided to hold this one back for awhile, until a little space developed between Jim's Pilots card and his Astros card.

When I started this project, I wasn't sure how many of these cards I would actually be able to create, which is why the Mike Squires cards bunched together.

I envisioned this projected originally to be a good way to fill my want lists of White Sox players and other favorites, but with the help and suggestions of friends, this has grown into something much greater.

I have learned to duplicate almost any design, which I thought next to impossible when this started. The only things holding me back are finding decent pictures for everyone I have in mind. Recently, I have found a temporary solution to that as well.

Somewhere, in the near future, I'd like to also make other cards of Jim Bouton on neglected teams. I haven't run across a color photograph of Bouton in a Knoxville Sox uniform, so a White Sox card could be made. That would be a coup. A color photo has been found of Bouton in a Braves uniform, so expect one to show up here at some point.

2 comments:

Matthew Glidden said...

Nice job on the card! Only quibble is that he was traded to Houston mid-season, rather than prior to 1969. (He pitched almost 100 innings for Seattle before the trade.)

Steve Gierman said...

Thank you! Good eye. How'd I let that one slip by my editor eyes? That what I get for focusing on the how more than the why.

It is now fixed.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...