Tuesday, February 26, 2019

2018 Topps Heritage High Numbers

Topps Heritage borrows from the 1969 Topps set. I've gone over before about how simplistic the design is. I wouldn't change a thing about the design. The Topps designers were hitting it out of the park throughout the sixties. While by no stretch of the imagination would I call this a grand slam of a design, I am willing to call it an inside the park home run. It's not as awe-inspiring as those dingers that go over the wall. There might not be fireworks shooting off. There is the excitement of getting a home run without all the fanfare. It kind of sneaks up on on you.

There are no huge names in this team set, but sometimes that's even better. I appreciate it more, when card sets focus on the common players or minor stars. Don't get me wrong, I love the superstars, but how many different (enter superstar player) cards do I need? Of course, I'll need those too, but how many of (cup of coffee player) do I have? Exactly. When I collect, I try to collect everyone. It takes more than a handful of players to make a team. Why shouldn't my collecting reflect that too?

The White Sox have four cards in this set. There are no short prints or variations.

523 - Danny Farquhar
530 - Trayce Thompson
570 - Adam Engel
693 - Daniel Palka

This small team set is a nice addendum to the regular Heritage set. It features players that might not get a card otherwise. Heritage is always near the top of my collecting lists every year. It's easy to see why.

2 comments:

bbcardz said...

Nice post! I just love this design, mainly for nostalgic reasons but it's also just pleasant to look at imo. You can't please all the people all the time but I think Topps did a pretty good design job back in 1969.

Steve Gierman said...

I definitely agree.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...