Saturday, May 30, 2009

Mailbox Joys: Black Wakamatsu

2009 Topps Black #576 - Don Wakamatsu 50/58

I know what you're thinking. Black Wakamatsu sounds like a seventies kung-fu movie. The kind that Quentin Tarantino would claim as his bible and such. I swear that it's much cooler than that. It my first Wakamatsu card in which he is not a player.

I scoured eBay thinking that I would run into a ton of the Wal-Mart Black versions, but instead I stumbled upon a few auctions of this parallel numbered to 58. I thought that this would be much better than the Wal-Mart black. The Wal-Mart parallel cards look like that oil slick from Creepshow 2. The numbered Topps parallel almost looks like a fine granite. It's still black, but more detailed.

I think the juxtaposition of Don Wakamatsu on this card with the sun behind him against the granite black of the border looks absolutely gorgeous. I have never seen a card more deserving of this type of parallel treatment. It's as if this card was made for the black parallel.

With this card, I believe my Wakamatsu collection has doubled. Yes, for those of you who haven't attended Cyprus Creek Elementary, that makes two Wakamatsu cards. To be fair, I have others that are part of my White Sox collection. This would be my first Don Wakamatsu card that could not be part of the White Sox collection.

At this rate my Wakamatsu collection may triple over the next fiscal year. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go to the hammock district on third and admire my new card.

1 comment:

Grand Cards said...

Testing out some business hammocks, eh?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...