Friday, April 26, 2019

Card Spotlight: 4-26-19

1979 Topps #216 - Wilbur Wood

This would be the last regular season card for Wilbur Wood. After several seasons in the majors, Wilbur would call it a career after the 1978 campaign. This would technically be a legacy card, since he didn't play in 1979. It's an endgame, if you will.

That would be my little segue-way into what most people are going to do this weekend... see the new Marvel movie. I will be among them, at some point. I'll be working all weekend, so I'm unsure as to when I'll be seeing it, but I'll be seeing it. I was hoping to see Captain Marvel before Endgame, but that was not in the cards. Considering I've seen the other twenty films, I think I can fill in the gaps.

It's been a long journey to this point. It kind of reminds me of Wilbur Wood's career. It was a long journey to get to his decision to retire, but after an injury, he never came back quite the same. Two years of reduced workloads, saw him come back to nearly full strength in 1978, but the magic had gone. If he hadn't gotten injured, Wilbur may still be pitching today. THat's how solid and effortless he could be.

Imagine, if you will, a healthy Michael Kopech, Reynaldo Lopez and Carlos Rodon, broken up by a Mark Buehrle in his prime and Wilbur Wood from the early 70s. That would be one hell of a rotation. Two mystifying soft tossers mixed in with that young fire. The opposition wouldn't know what hit them. They would never get their timing down.

Enjoy this card of Wilbur Wood. If you see Endgame, please don't spoil it for those who have not seen it yet.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...