Friday, May 16, 2008

Card Spotlight 5-16-08

This card of Wilbur Wood was the last card, or so I thought, to complete my 1968 Topps Set. I turned out that I also needed a leaders card to finish everything off, but this was the last regular card that I picked up.

This is my oldest completed regular Topps team set.Sure, I have older sets that are completed, but those only have a few cards. The 1963 Fleer set only has two White Sox cards in it. This set is a lot more involved than a small Fleer set or an oddball set.

I suppose that if the Sox had won the pennant in 1967, this set would have been harder to complete. Unfortunately for the Sox, but fortunately for me, the Sox just fell short a few times during the sixties. If there was divisional play of any kind, the Sox might have gone to the playoffs in the sixties.

This card reminds me of everything that could have been. When the team's best isn't quite good enough, but it still provides some late season thrills.

3 comments:

Bay Rat North West said...

Is this the year that Wood has two other versions of the same picture were his eyes are looking up and right, up and left and the one you have? It might be 1969 but I cannot remember. There was a guy who asked about it in Tuff Stuff 4 or 5 years ago and they said it was not common enough to catalog.

Bay Rat North West said...

Did you find out about the last card from the list I sent you?

Steve Gierman said...

I know the 68 and 69 photos were taken seconds apart. I'll have to study the variations.

I found out about that card four or five months ago, but that list would've helped save a lot of legwork.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...