Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Random Card #24

Sluggers Vs. Pitchers.

What exactly was the point of this release? I think it was to flood the market with Fleer baseball product in 1987. The design is amatuerish and reeks of a child who could only find the primary colored fingerpaints. With crazy cut out action words and comic book shading techniques, this looks like it belongs on the Adam West Batman series.

I can see the words POW! or ZONK! fit comfortably on top of the picture of Ivan swinging away. Maybe even KABLOOEY!

That being said, this is a nice shot of Ivan in action. It looks like the photo was snapped on a deep fly. I can't tell whether or not it was to the warning track or over the yellow railing, but it was taken at old Comiskey Park.

2 comments:

Wax Heaven said...

I loved these old Fleer sets! :(

Steve Gierman said...

I did too, but I don't see the point of so many different sets with essentially the same players with the exception of a player here and there.

They take me back to my childhood, but they would be complained about today.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...