Monday, September 7, 2009

6 In 30: White Sox Edition

The ladies over at Dinged Corners posed an interesting query. Flip through a random binder and pick out six cards, that make you happy, in a thirty second time limit. After battling with closing the pool, I needed some happiness today. I was up for the challenge.

Thirty seconds can be a very long time, if you are bored and watching the clock. If, on the other hand, you are in a rapid search through a full binder filled with mostly half full pages, time flies faster than Superman with gastrointestinal problems.

I pulled a random binder off the shelf. It happened to be my White Sox binder featuring cards from 1996 and 1997. Knowing that time was of the essence, I limited my picking to those cards that provided some type of instant karma reaction. I would figure out the "whys" later. What was important now was the "what".

It didn't matter "who" either. It just mattered that for a split second, I was in cardboard bliss. A momentary lapse in the rushed fury that caused me to pause. Here are the results.
1996 Fleer #62 – Luis Andujar
It has everything to do with that smile! He looks genuinely happy to be there.


1996 Leaf #172 - Robin Ventura
It's gotta be the mid-air flight. He's kicking up his heels like a jolly leprechaun.


1996 Summit Nth Degree #147 - Alex Fernandez
I'll admit the shininess of the card is what initially attracted me, but it was the sheer determined look that hooked me.


1997 Bowman #440 - Jason Dellaero
The goofy look on Jason's face stopped me dead in my tracks. Plus, in this photo, he looks a little like my cousin... named Jason. In a good way.

1997 Circa #215 - Tony Phillips
Those eyes! I know it's the angle, but the amount of white in the eyes immediately made me stop and look. Haunting!

1997 E-X 2000 #16 - Robin Ventura
It looks like Robin is running from some all encompassing vortex to another dimension. Real compelling stuff!

1 comment:

DC said...

Also, the floating glowing 'Phillips' whoa. Hadn't seen these before, very neat.

We wonder how many Players Running From a Vortex cards there are in the world.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...