Sunday, July 24, 2011

Red Herrings

In my quest to see an example of every White Sox card, I run into some strange sights. The more I try to understand the mentality of some releases, the more I get confused. Just when I think I have everything figured out, something that shouldn't be appears.

While researching the 1910 E271 Darby Chocolates set, I noticed that Patsy Dougherty had a card. Through internet research, I found an expired auction for the uncut card. There was "Pat", as he was called on the card, in all his glory. I could add another one to the list.

Upon closer inspection, I noticed Patsy wearing a New York Highlanders uniform. What makes this especially odd is that Dougherty last played for New York in the middle of the 1906 season. Ever since then, he had been with the Chicago White Sox. In fact, in most candy sets, Patsy Dougherty is the only White Sox player to have a card. This left me puzzled. It's not like I can get in my time machine and ask someone from 1910 why this is. Then, I discovered this ad from 1906.
No, it has nothing to do with the cards or 1910. Instead, it lists the company address as in Baltimore, Maryland. This would lead me to believe that either the date on the candy is wrong or the company has an east coast bias, like ESPN.

Under closer inspection, I didn't need to look any further than the box. It mentions Baltimore and on the Sam Crawford side there is a 1910 copyright date. I guess I'll chalk it up to wanting regional players on their packaging to sell more chocolates. Still, it's curious that the company would use a player who only played the equivalent of two seasons with the Highlanders. Could it be because he made his home in New York state? The world may never know.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...