Thursday, December 30, 2010

The Last Hit Of 2010

The stocking was hung on the front door with dare
With hopes that Mr. Hankey soon will be there
My diet had been recently high in fiber
So my stocking would be filled by the late Avery Schreiber
I rushed downstairs on Christmas morning
So fast that I did not heed my cat's warning
Slipping in hairballs hocked up overnight
As part of some feline cleaning ritual rite
Washing my foot in the tub couldn't erase my smile
Even though the job was quite vile
Clean as a whistle and soon I was off
Pausing only to listen to my father's smoker cough
I spotted my stocking with glee
Imagining what wonders inside will be
There were many packs of baseball cards
Topps and Obak were met with warm regards
Lottery scratch offs turned out to be a bust
Making me question the State of Illinois' trust
Odd little candies sprinkled among the loot
At the end of the stocking was the obligatory fruit
Something made me think of Ned Beatty
As a code card produced a checklist from 1980
In the last pack of Topps, finally a hit
But the ex-Sox player pictured made me feel like...

5 comments:

BA Benny said...

A funny well written poem I must say...
but a shame it is that the hit did not make your day...
I surely like the way the Swisher looks...
and I have no care for what it books
I know you are a fan of the Sox of White...
Being a Mets fan myself, I know your plight
I can help with your disappointment of pulling a card from the Yanks...
I will even be able to say thanks
If you have an interest to swap...
I can send a card with some pop...
I am never one to lie...
The card is one of Jermaine Dye
I hope this card can be a fix...
It comes from the year 2006
The picture is a great shot of him wearing his hat...
and layered inside is a piece of his bat
While I this poem is lame and kind of stinks...
Shoot me an e-mail and let me know what you think.

unclemoe said...

I like Swisher more than Bobby Fisher.

moe.

flywheels said...

Creative post, creative reply!

Steve Gierman said...

Best. Comment. Ever. (poetry division)

Play at the Plate said...

Very nice combo...post/reply poetry.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...