Monday, December 13, 2010

Tribune White Sox Cards Exposed By Hackenbush

"Well, it was too small for a basketball, and I didn't know what to do with it."

Normally, I'm on top of all things White Sox related regarding cards. This release escaped my wide dragnet, even though it was released in my own hometown. It probably doesn't help that my family subscribes to the Chicago Sun-Times. These cards were distributed as an insert in Chicago Tribune papers in 2008.

Thanks to Hackenbush of Can't Have Too Many Cards fame, these cards are not only no longer a mystery to me, they are in my possession! I received twenty perforated (and separated) Tribune cards, along with two different 1983 Fleer logo stickers.

I can see that the Chicago Tribune was looking to Topps for its inspiration. There are elements from the 1972 and 1973 sets on the front. The back incorporates the color of the 1964 set along with an allusion to the floating heads from the 1971 set. This is a mosaic of vintage Topps cards.
I am unsure as to what order the cards are supposed to be in, so I will present them in the order that I found them.

John Danks
DeWayne Wise
Juan Uribe
Joe Crede
Mark Buehrle
Octavio Dotel
Jim Thome
Gavin Floyd
Scott Linebrink
Javier Vazquez
Matt Thornton
A.J. Pierzynski
Carlos Quentin
Nick Swisher
Paul Konerko
Ken Griffey Jr.
Orlando Cabrera
Brian Anderson
Toby Hall
Adam Russell

Thanks, Hackenbush! These cards are even better than I imagined, when you e-mailed me about them. This is a great addition to my White Sox collection.

1 comment:

Hackenbush said...

Glad to give them a good home. "Say, you're awfully large for a pill yourself!"

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...