Wednesday, November 28, 2007

The Legend Hits The Wall

Well, according to reports this morning, it looks like Aaron Rowand will not be in a White Sox uniform. According to Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun Times, Rowand was Plan 1A, and the numbers were so off between the two parties, there was no room for negotiation. And before you even ask, no, it's not Joe Cowley the ex-White Sox player.

Rowand has been nicknamed, "The Legend", here in Chicago. Not so much for what he's done on the field, but crashing into walls and still holding onto the ball is so Major League 2. It's more for the mythical proportions that he's formed since leaving. The Sox have been a little underwhelming since he was traded. Everyone here knew what a clubhouse guy and a team player he is, so his legend grew.

I can still remember fans complaining that he couldn't hit. Some people were so worried that he'd crash into the wall again and seriously hurt himself, that they wanted to get rid of him. Don't get me wrong, I was a huge fan of Rowand, but I still can see his limitations. I wonder if last year's hitting display was a fluke. I guess we'll all find out this season.

Now, the main targets seem to be Coco Crisp and Willy Taveras. I don't think Taveras can be had, it doesn't look like a good trade for the Rockies. I'm not sure I want a breakfast cereal patrolling centerfield. Whatever the Sox end up doing, it will probably be better than what they have right now.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...