Tuesday, November 20, 2007

The Sandy Alomar Picture Show














OK, is it just my imagination or is this the same picture for the 1968 and 1969 Topps cards of Sandy Alomar? The 1968 card looks like the original picture and the 1969 card looks like it was airbrushed slightly to make it appear like a different photo. He actually looks like he was airbrushed younger in 1969.

I've heard many complaints that Topps reuses the same picture on the front and backs of their cards nowadays. This is just plain lazy compared to that! Granted they only really used posed shots for the cards at this point, it couldn't have been too hard to get Sandy to pose again or to use one of the throwaway shots from the original shoot. Then again, the photographer could've said, "Same pose this year. Go ahead and stand in the same spot. Try and look a little younger."

I kinda doubt that, but I wasn't around then. You never know. I do know that these are 2 of the 3 cards that I know about of Sandy in a White Sox uniform. The other was a 1969 team issue black & white card. That is the card I don't own. I own the two doppelgangers pictured above. For all I know the team issue card might be this shot, just in black & white. If it is, I'll be happy if someone airbrushed a Sox cap on him.

1 comment:

Tragik007 said...

Damn. That's pretty bad.
Good find, though.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...