Friday, November 9, 2007

Welcome

I'm a life-long Chicago White Sox fan. I started collecting cards as a kid in the early 80's. I lost my enthusiasm for cards around the mid-90's. It was a combination of different things. I got into my first serious relationship, started working more, and explored other interests. This was a time when all the pointless card issues were coming out. It felt like the card companies were just exploiting the consumer by issuing too many sets and flooding the market with cards. I was fed up and felt like it was time to break away. Then the strike happened.

The strike was the absolute last straw for me. I put all my focus on other aspects of my life. But like all good things (or more appropriately, addictions) they always seem to creep back into your life.

I went to a game at Comiskey II in 1997. I had a pretty good time. The Sox won, The Big Hurt hit a homer, so did Ventura if I recall correctly. My icy front was starting to melt slightly. In 1998, I started watching more games on TV and started to listen to more on the radio. A young player named Magglio Ordonez was making an impression on me.

In 2000, I got caught up in the excitement of the pennant push and the antics of "The Get Up Guy". Sometime after that, I discovered eBay. I decided I would get back into card collecting slowly, but I would only collect White Sox cards.

Each year since then, the "addiction" has only gotten worse. It probably came to a fever pitch during 2005, when the Sox won the World Series. Although, to be fair, I have kept to my word to only keep White Sox cards. The excess cards, if you want to call them that, I sell on eBay in my own store called Mercury's Space. I only keep one of each White Sox card. Doubles of Sox cards and every other card goes into the eBay store. My lofty goal is to own every single White Sox card and use the excess cards to finance that goal. I know realistically it won't happen, but I'd like to get as close to that goal as possible.

I hope to highlight the joys of collecting Chicago White Sox cards. I hope to spotlight different cards through the years.

2 comments:

Tragik007 said...

I like what I see so far. Keep up the great work and I hope Ozzie Guillen gets hit by a bus.

Sorry, I just feel he dissed Canseco when he was with the White Sox.

-Wax Heaven

Steve Gierman said...

No problem! He throws everybody else under the bus around here. It should be his turn soon.

:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...