Thursday, November 29, 2007

The Powder Blues Club

It seems that retro is all the rage nowadays. Nothing is more evident of this than the Royals and Blue Jays going to powder blue uniforms for alternate jerseys. "That's a bold statement", as John Travolta said in Pulp Fiction. I like the idea, but then again I also liked the White Sox softball uniforms of the late 70's and early 80's. They were so bad that you had to love them, like a tattered 1975 Wilbur Wood card in your wallet.

I decided to dig up a card from the White Sox era of powder blue uniforms. Everyone else seems to be doing this, so I thought I'd join in the fun. I think Jesse Jefferson's 1976 card will do nicely. I think his hair could almost rival Oscar Gamble's 'fro. Not quite, but with enough special love and attention it could grow like a Chia Pet too.

Bad uniforms have always fascinated me. I've always held a special place in my heart for the old Astros uniforms with the rainbow colors or the Pirates hats that stood up like a top hat. Those early Mariners uniforms are great too. I can't wait for the 1977 Turn Back The Clock game between the White Sox and the Mariners. It should be quite an eyesore. Will the Mariners Anchorman inspired trident uniforms beat the White Sox senior softball league uniforms? One can only hope fans can see the outcome after they burned out their retinas.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...