Friday, November 9, 2007

The First Card Spotlight


1981 Coke - Bob Molinaro

Molinaro was a left handed DH basically. In 1981, he was 9-35 as a pinch hitter, the best in the AL. From scrounging around on the net, I found out that he almost quit baseball to become a blackjack dealer in Las Vegas after doing that in the off-season after the 1975 season.

This card seems to epitomize the early 80's. The hair, the look, the player, out of focus, in the background looking impatient, waiting for the photographer to capture him trying to drink from an invisible Coke bottle. I'm actually surprised that Coke didn't insist on Topps airbrushing a Coke bottle in Bob's hand. I mean, the Coke logo isn't big enough in the corner. I think the blind man may have missed it.

As I slowly build my collection of White Sox cards, this is the best photo of Bob I have found. Every other photo I have seen makes him look really cheesy, like a poor man's Don Mattingly.

Yes, these are the thoughts that inspired this blog. Incidentally, these are also the thoughts that kept me out of the really good schools.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...