Thursday, September 9, 2010

Who Wears Short Shorts?

Someone actually posted some footage on YouTube that features one of the three games from 1976, where the White Sox play in shorts! My computer gets wonky sometimes with YouTube video, but I saw enough great images in there to post this.

This isn't the infamous Kansas City game. This game is against the Orioles. I wasn't alive quite yet when this was filmed (I was still in utero). There's a nice beer stacking contest at the end of the clip and shots of the shower. Good stuff!

You see pre-game, with Ken Kravec pitching, Chet Lemon batting and someone who is not a player (but in uniform) catching. Most importantly, you can see the game itself. My guess is that it is August 22, 1976, the first game of a double-header. It must have been an exciting game... for Orioles fans. Jim Palmer won his 17th game on the season and Reggie Jackson hit a pinch-hit grand slam in the ninth. Boston fans even have something to cheer about in this game. Bucky Dent was hit by a pitch.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol, awesome. They need to bring those back as alternate Sunday uniforms or something. There era of Bill Veeck having trouble adjusting his meds (TM my dad) shouldn't be ignored, it should be celebrated! :D

Jim from Downingtown said...

Wait, the "shorts era" lasted for only 3 games in 1976? I thought it was longer than that. My mind is seeing the players in the 1981 Topps set photographed in those uniforms.

Steve Gierman said...

I have heard that some players wore the shorts for photographers during 1977 Spring Training, but they never made an appearance in any game after August 1976.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...