Saturday, January 5, 2008

#34 - Eddie Fisher

Number 34 was a little tough. Do I go with recent success or success in the past. I could have chosen Freddy Garcia. He had a couple of good years on the Sox and a lot of good years elsewhere. Part of this process involves picturing the player in a uniform. I always see Freddy in a Mariners uniform first, then a White Sox. I suppose it has something to do with the 2000 playoffs.

Instead, I went with Eddie Fisher. Unless you were following the White Sox in the sixties, you probably never heard of him. No, he's not the entertainer from the same era. Eddie's best season came in 1965. He went 15-7 with a 2.40 ERA.

Eddie was on the Sox from 1962 to June 1966. He made a second round with the Sox from August 1972 until August 1973. In his full seasons with the White Sox, he never had a losing record. The more I find out about the 1960's White Sox teams, the more I'm convinced that they would have made a lot more postseason appearances if divisional play were a part of the game before 1969.

2 comments:

hardcle said...

Why not Richard Dotson? I think he would deserve it based on his 1983 season alone.

Steve Gierman said...

You make a valid point. Maybe there will be a revision in the future at this number. Ultimately, I thought Richard's other years weren't consistent enough to validate his inclusion. Eddie only had one fantastic year, but slightly more consistent than Richard in his other years.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...