Thursday, January 10, 2008

2007 Topps Turkey Red

When I heard they were going to change Turkey Red for the 2007 release, I was a bit skeptical. After all, they had a classic design to work with, that worked very well. It even felt nice. When I saw the new design, I wasn't that thrilled. When I picked up a pack, that all changed.

Pictures of the 2007 release do not do the card justice. This is something you have to see in the flesh. The card seems to take on a whole new dimension in person. It looks nice. Topps did a wonderful job with this set. All of my initial fears were put to rest once I got my grubby little hands on a pack.

In the first pack I pulled an Alex Gordon chrome card. Normally, I can take or leave the chrome cards. I usually decide on a case by case basis. Hmmm... just like Bud "Lite". That could be a bad thing. Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised that the chrome worked very well in this release. If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, I wouldn't have believed it. This design does not scream out for chrome.

There are 3 base cards, 2 short print cards and 1 checklist card that features White Sox players. Let's see what White Sox cards we can dig up out of this release.
  • 13 - Play At The Plate (featuring Joe Crede and Scott Podsednik)
  • 36 - Tadahito Iguchi (still in a White Sox uniform)
  • 73 - Mark Buehrle SP
  • 94 - Josh Fields SP
  • 144 - Jermaine Dye
  • 145 - Jim Thome

There's an unexpected checklist card featuring Crede and Podsednik. Maybe this is their swan song. Podsednik is already gone and Crede looks to be leaving before Opening Day 2008. It's good to see Tadahito in a White Sox uniform again, but I wonder why? Mark Buehrle and Josh Fields are short printed, which means that I will probably have to sell my soul to obtain both of them. The usual suspects of Dye and Thome round out the set.

A good set with a good design that looks classic. I'm a little disappointed with the short prints in the set, but I'm also glad that the White Sox command that much respect to warrant two short print cards. Then again, it could just be a fluke. For all I know, they pick names out of a hat for the short print cards. I am pleasantly surprised by the quality of this release.

2 comments:

Scott said...

It would be cool if they had a Jim Thome short print in that set too.
Card Collector Universe

Wax Heaven said...

Yeah, I stayed away from this product until my hobby shop had nothing left. I absolutely loved it even more than U.D Masterpieces!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...