Wednesday, January 23, 2008

#49 - Richard Dotson

Before I started posting these numbers, I had researched and determined who I thought were the best at each particular number. Some players have had more than one number. I vowed to only have a player at one number. This makes for some interesting choices. Richard Dotson is one of those choices. While, he had some competition at number 34, he stands alone at number 49.

Rich wore number 49 from 1979 until 1982 for the Sox. He switched to number 34 in 1983, just in time for the best year of his career. He was 97-95 for his years with the White Sox. Rich began his career in 1979 and pitched until 1987 for the White Sox. He also showed up briefly in the 1989 season for the Sox, but by then, most of his luck had run out.

In 1983, he went an insane 22-7, in a year that the White Sox won 99 games and won their division by 20 games. Based on that 1983 performance, he was fourth in voting for the Cy Young and twentieth in voting for MVP. He also made the All-Star team in 1984 because of his success the previous year. In 1980, Rich was seventh in voting for Rookie of the Year. Richard pitched solidly from 1979 until 1984. Arm injuries plagued him after that, nipping the bud on a once promising career.

Other players to wear number 49 were Lee Elia, Jeff Schwarz, Lorenzo Barcelo and Tony Castillo. Charlie Hough would have been the obvious choice for this number, if Richard had not worn this for four seasons. It will be tough to ever supplant you from this spot, Rich.

2 comments:

--David said...

I feel your pain. I had no idea what I was getting myself into by starting a Jersey Numbers Tribe version. Players for Cleveland sometimes changed uni numbers MORE OFTEN than they change their skivvies! Heaven help me! I haven't decided how I am going to handle multi-uni players yet.. We'll see how it goes! :-)

Steve Gierman said...

You've been doing a great job so far! I've loved reading your series so far.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...