Friday, October 16, 2009

2009 Goodwin Champions

Let's chalk it up to the Flying Fickle Finger of Fate, but since July, I've found it very difficult to find packs of some sets in any store near me. I was very happy when I finally found a rack pack of Goodwin Champions at a local Target.

I've yet to find TriStar Obak, but that's a fight for another day. I was pleased with my initial purchase. Unfortunately, that rack pack did not produce a single White Sox card. With my card budget extremely limited lately, I decided to participate in a group box break.

Of the six available White Sox cards, I landed four. Considering that only two of those six cards are not some type of short print card, I think that is absolutely amazing. Let's see what White Sox cards are in the Goodwin Champions set.

29 - Carlos Quentin
46 - Jim Thome
154 - Gavin Floyd (Short Print)
191 - Clayton Richard (Super Short Print)
197 - Paul Konerko (Super Short Print)
207 - Jermaine Dye (Super Short Print)

After seeing these cards in person, all I can say is that these cards are gorgeous. Each card is a masterpiece all by itself. The colors pop and they definitely give Allen & Ginter a run for its money. The backgrounds are a step up from the normal retro landscapes we are used to seeing.

There seem to be some issues with a few of the player renderings (namely Clayton Richard), but that doesn't detract from the overall quality of the set. It seems to actually enhance it.

After a bit of digging, I found that the short prints are seeded every two packs on average. The super short prints are seeded two per hobby box.

I'm curious about Upper Deck's plans with this set for 2010. Will they continue it without the use of logos? There are ways around the licensing issue, but I hope it won't be a distraction from the quality of the set.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If they bring it back next year, I hope they make the set a bit bigger so more players can be included.

Steve Gierman said...

Bigger would be great, but what I'd most like to see would be the banishment of the "super short prints".

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...