Monday, October 19, 2009

2009 Upper Deck Update

This one completely slipped under the radar. After a botched attempt at an update set in 2008, where a scan of a Griffey card leaked out shortly before the set was canceled, Upper Deck quietly seeded these cards into series one and two combo rack fat packs.

There are only 50 cards in the update set, but the cards are seeded two per fat pack. That could get very expensive very quickly, with the packs themselves costing around five dollars. Even if there's perfect collation, it would still take 25 packs and $125 dollars before tax. Sounds like a project for eBay or trading for those who want to complete the 50 card set.

Technically, there are four White Sox cards in the update set. Only three are of actual players. The fourth is another Barack Obama card with the picture taken at the 2009 All-Star game in St. Louis.

U1 - Barack Obama
U6 - Aaron Poreda
U7 - Bartolo Colon
U36 - Gordon Beckham

I'll go out on a limb and say that I like this set. I'm not a fan of how the set is distributed though. I would be angry if I were a set collector. As a team collector, I think I can handle four cards. I do like that only one player (Beckham) is in the Topps Update set. This may be the last card for Bartolo Colon and probably the last White Sox card of Aaron Poreda.

While it's nice to see an Obama White Sox card, I think the card companies can give it a rest for now. It's a no-brainer having Gordon Beckham in the set. The player selection is great for such a small set.

It's about time Upper Deck returned to their update sets. I wish they would have returned a year sooner.

3 comments:

Grand Cards said...

I'm with you. Distribution fail, but the set, given its size, is nice. Most people are not fans, but I really like Update sets. They can remind you of all the odd roster changes and idiosyncratic moments in your team's history, alongside the defining trades and moments that began (or ended) an era.

Steve Gierman said...

The update sets were my favorite as a kid. The prospects and the rent-a-players couldn't be beat!

Anonymous said...

I'm not a fan of how the set is being distributed, but at least I only have two cards to worry about.

Yet another reason for me to like Topps better this year.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...