Tuesday, January 18, 2011

2011 Phungo Cards

The first pack of a new year is always a special and momentous occasion. Despite the best efforts of the card companies Topps, there is usually one pack that beats all: Phungo cards.

This is, if I'm not mistaken, the third year I have had the privilege to open a pack of Phungo cards. It has become a ritual that I look forward to doing. This is the best way to start the new year of collecting!

Let's rip this puppy open!
46 - Joe West (umpire)
We start off the new year by reliving one of the worst moments of last year. The singing cowboy part-time umpire always manages to enrage players and fans alike, wherever he goes. From the side he reminds me of a weeble.

44 - Adam Dunn (Nationals)
52 - Jose Contreras (Phillies)
31 - St. Basil's Cathedral (Moscow)
Nice selection of former and current White Sox players.

The Second City Comedy Troupe
A secret passion of mine. It's like this pack was specifically geared towards me!

A smattering of traditional cards from 1973 to 2010!

25 - Jim Thome
Another former White Sox, who is still beloved in Chicago, despite playing for a rival.

I seriously doubt that any pack can top this one for 2011. I will have to break out a Phungo-meter to judge all future 2011 packs.

2 comments:

deal said...

THanks for the write up.

Sorry no Chisox made it into this yrs set. Hopefully something will surface for the 2012 set.

Steve Gierman said...

I don't always get to see former players in uniform after they leave Chicago, so no need to apologize. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...