Friday, June 15, 2012

So It's Come To This: A Contest

 Yes, that cocky gentleman with the mustache is the same cocky gentleman that has no filter during the Chicago White Sox television broadcasts. Why is it here? No particular reason. I ran across it a few weeks ago and the absurdity of it made me smile. Hawk Harrelson was your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate. What does that have to do with this post? Absolutely nothing! It's almost as absurd as a Winnebago with wings. Hawks. Eagles. Meh. Everything on television is starting to blend into one another.

Instead of going on some Hawk-ish tangent, let's get down to brass tacks. This is my 2,500th post. It only took me four years, seven months and six days. They weren't all winners, but I hope I've kept things entertaining, or at the very least interesting. For this milestone post, I would like to give away some White Sox cards. But there's a catch. Isn't there always?

I'm going to make you work for it... just a little. Then, it will all be up to a group of your peers.
What the heck do I mean by that? Well, I'm getting to that. And no, the Spaceballs references have nothing to do with it either. Here's what you have to do.

I want to know the weirdest thing you have ever seen at a Major League ballpark. Leave your answer and a brief explanation in the comments section. Isn't that simple? Sure it is! Here's where it gets complicated, sorta.

I will choose what I think are the five best answers and let the readers decide which is the absolute best. Any duplicate answers will not be chosen. Be original and stop being a copycat. I like you better that way. Whichever comment gets the most votes, will get some White Sox cards.

You have until Saturday, June 23, 2012 at 11:59PM CST to get your answers in the comment section. Only your first comment will count and duplicate answers will be ignored, so choose wisely.

Good luck and have fun!

10 comments:

Play at the Plate said...

I've been planning a post on this for a long time and I don't know if it's really weird, but back in 1994 I saw a Mariners relief pitcher write his hotel room number on a ball and toss it up to a young woman in the stands who had been flirting with him. I was sitting directly behind her and saw the ball very clearly.

Play at the Plate said...

By the way, congrats on hitting 2500! Totally spaced in my first comment.

Greg Zakwin said...

Congrats on the milestone!

It's a tie between hearing some really young bullpen guys at a High-A Ball minor league game talk about circumcisions, or the couple of times I've seen a blow-up doll tossed around Dodger Stadium like a beach ball.

I'll go with the minor leaguers odd talk.

Dan said...

At a Giants game, the sprinklers went off in the 9th inning in the middle of a pitch. They had to clear the field for a few minutes to dry it off.

Johngy said...

Congrats on 2500! You have been very entertaining.

The oddest thing I remember goes back to one of my first games. We ran into Paul Splittorff and Buck Martinez (of the Royals) in full uniforms and spikes at one of the concession stands at old Comiskey Park. It was during a rain delay.

Ryan H said...

I think the strangest thing I've seen is earlier this spring, at the Orioles/Tides exhibition, a news helicopter landed on the field to drop off the channel's sports guy to throw out the first pitch. WHAMMY! (yes, that was a Champ Kind reference)

Ryan H said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
P-town Tom said...

I was in attendance for a contest between the Peoria Chiefs and the Kane County Cougars at Wrigley Field in July of 2010. The game was titled, "The Road to Wrigley" and had the feel of a minor league atmosphere in a MLB stadium. The Chiefs have two mascots, ears of corn, that came from the grounds crew doors in the outfield and danced on the warning track every time the Chiefs scored. I have a picture of one of the ears of corn doing the "sprinkler" from that game. I'll forward you on the pic to see for yourself. Straight up weird.

Jim from Downingtown said...

On one occasion when my friend and I went to a Phillies game (as teenagers), we made ABSOLUTELY NO ATTEMPT to move down to better seats as the game progressed!


(Congrats on the milestone, Steve!)

Matthew Glidden said...

Not technically during a game, but at an MLB ballpark and definitely weird.

Like most stadiums, Seattle's Kingdome had multiple levels of concourse walkways that wrapped completely around it. On one particular support column of the walkway (southwest, if memory serves), each "level" included a large image of a stick figure in free fall, as if you were watching someone drop from the top level.

There was no "start of drop" or "impact" picture, but picturing a disaster scenario seems so naive today, especially since someone eventually DID fall off the concourse wall. I suspect that's when they removed the art itself, in advance of the Kingdome's later demolition.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...