Sunday, June 17, 2012

What Does A 1969 Topps White Sox Master Set Look Like?

After years of not pulling the trigger on a few key cards, I finally picked up the last three cards I needed to complete the 1969 Topps White Sox set.The ones tripping me up? Bill Melton, Wilbur Wood and Carlos May. Three players that have entered into the folklore of White Sox fans, but get passed over frequently by most everyone else.

This should have been one of the easier team sets to complete. There were no league leader cards and the Luis Aparicio card was acquired early. Once I got Tommy John into the collection, the rest should have fallen right into place. Wouldn't you know that other cards were lurking in the dark, taunting me with higher prices than I was willing to pay, until one glorious day last week, I found one at auction for 99 cents. As luck would have it, I found another card at auction for 99 cents. Miraculously, I won both auctions at my opening bid and the sellers had reasonable shipping rates that were both under two dollars. I decided to press my luck and search for the last card. Serendipity played a part, I'm sure, as I found that last card for $1.49 with free shipping. So, without further delay, I present...

THE 1969 TOPPS WHITE SOX MASTER TEAM SET


I'm really enjoying the symmetry of the rookie cards, all in the seventh pocket of each page. There seems to be a good mixture of posed and portrait pictures too. Sandy Alomar's picture was left over from the 1968 set and I believe that Wilbur Wood's picture may be left over too. It doesn't matter. All that matters is that the journey for this vintage set is finally over. I'm slowly completing the White Sox master team sets of the sixties and seventies from Topps. Today I am one set closer to completing that goal.

2 comments:

Hackenbush said...

Some great cards there, from Tommy John to No Neck Williams, Joel Horlen to Beltin Bill Melton etc. Congrats! PS Not as good as a set of '69 Cubs. :)

JediJeff said...

So do you need my address to send that to me or what?

:D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...