Monday, April 11, 2011

30 Day Horror Challenge: Day 19

Some of the best horror films are based around the perceived evil of Satanism or how corrupt and powerful worshiping the devil can bring. Most modern concepts of Hell and Satan come from the first part of a 14th century epic poem called Divine Comedy (Inferno) and Anton LaVey (the founder of the Church of Satan). The structure of Hell is cribbed from the poem and the current look of Satan is based on LaVey's distinctive Vandyke and shaved head. The powers that can be gained in these types of movies is almost limitless, but usually evil is defeated at the end.

Your favorite horror film involving the powers of Hell or Satanism.
The Ninth Gate (1999)

As a rule, I try not to let real life interfere with reel life. I don't concern myself with how famous someone is or things that they have done away from movies. This allows me to still enjoy the Naked Gun comedies with O.J. Simpson and films written and/or directed by Roman Polanski and Woody Allen, to name just a few. I do not condone anything that these people may have done in their private lives. It also has nothing to do with the movies they make or have made. Life's too short.

Johnny Depp has impressed me in countless movies. I will give anything that he is in a chance. He has that good of a track record with me. I have generally enjoyed the films of Roman Polanski. So when I heard that the two were working on the same project, I was intrigued. I was not disappointed.

Depp plays a rare book dealer who is looking only for a profit. A book collector brings him a copy of a book that was supposedly authored by the Devil. Engravings inside the book, when interpreted correctly, can summon the Devil. Two other copies of the book are known and the collector suspects his book may be a forgery and needs it authenticated by Depp.

The rest of the movie deals with uncovering clues to the true origins of the three books. The film is full of shady characters and double-crosses. This is more of a noir film than a horror film, but the end goal is to summon the Devil, which may or may not happen at the end. I won't spoil it for you.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...