Thursday, April 14, 2011

30 Day Horror Challenge: Day 22

How do you narrow such a large category as television down to just one show? It's next to impossible. I really thought about what I loved to watch and what I watched only when there was nothing better on. When I narrowed the ones that I loved, I started to think about which show do I get excited about when I see it listed on television. Half of that reason is because I enjoy the show. Another part is because it's only sporadically on. The last part involved memories from my childhood. There could only be one show left after all of that.

Your favorite horror themed TV show.
Friday the 13th: The Series (1987 - 90)

I can remember staying up late on Saturday nights to watch this. When SNL was a rerun or it was a week that wrestling was on NBC instead, I turned to the new Fox affiliate, WFLD. Before then, it was a local UHF station and despite brand new Fox programming, it still ran like a UHF station.

I watched this syndicated show pretty faithfully, even though it was bumped around the schedule quite a bit. I initially tuned in because I wanted to see Jason. When Mr. Voorhees was only found briefly in the opening credits, I found myself hooked on this Canadian shot show.

Lewis Vendredi made a deal with the devil to sell cursed antiques. But he broke the pact, and it cost him his soul. Now, his niece Micki, and her cousin Ryan have inherited the store... and with it, the curse. Now they must get everything back and the real terror begins.

Each week involved a new cursed object. Even though this was made for television, there were some very gory moments and clever writing for the premise. The actors portraying the main cast were likable and believable in their roles. The people who used the cursed objects for evil almost always met their doom in the end. It was a treat to watch each time to find out what each object's evil power was. I still watch it whenever it pops up on the schedule of Syfy or Chiller. It's amazing to see how many talented writers and directors worked on this series.

3 comments:

LoCoDe said...

I loved this show, and it didn't hurt that it had Robey in it. She was one hot red head.

Steve Gierman said...

I loved Robey in this role!

Anonymous said...

Great show...definitley in my top 5 for horror-themed TV programs! I hope Netflix can acquire the rights to stream it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...