Saturday, May 16, 2009

Cards That Never Were #6

1986 Topps Traded - George Foster

Many of you have been waiting for this day to come. I read it in the comments section. I read it in my e-mails. Wait no longer! I have found a picture of George Foster from one of the fifteen games that he appeared in for the White Sox in 1986.

This picture could very well be from one of the eleven hits he pounded out for his last team, before he was released. It might even be from his lone home run on the Sox. Chances are equally great that it came from a swinging strike, a line out, or a fly out. I'm optimistic though.

So, for your enjoyment, the nonexistent 1986 Topps Traded card of George Foster. This was the only picture I could find and it was a smaller resolution than I like working with for these projects. If any of the card companies bothered to produce a George Foster White Sox card in the first place, I wouldn't be stuck with this low resolution card. Thems the breaks! At least it now exists and that's better than the alternative.

The teams he appeared against at Comiskey Park were the Brewers, the Rangers, the Royals and the Blue Jays. Can you figure out the catcher in the photo?

6 comments:

hardcle said...

Another brilliant pickup by Hawk. I'm not 100%, but I think I was there for that lone homer. I remember thinking that he might not be a bad pickup, but that was his highlight with the Sox.

Johngy said...

Love it, as always.

Anonymous said...

Man, I missed this when you posted it! This is AWESOME!

Matthew Glidden said...

Love the CTNW series. Have you already considered a 1976 or 1980 Topps Minnie Minoso? The former appearance yielded a 1977 Record Breaker, but surely can be done better today.

Matthew Glidden said...

FYI, I highlighted this entry in a profile of White Sox Cards over at The #5 Type Collection.

http://number5typecollection.blogspot.com/2009/08/type-site-white-sox-cards.html

Keep up the good work!

BigMike79 said...

Looks like a Brewer catcher. If so Charlie Moore, Rick Cerone or Bill Schroeder caught for the Brewers

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...