Thursday, November 12, 2009

Dinged Corners Challenge: 3 On Card Autos

I have many autographs in my collection. Not as many as some people, but a fair share. I will share three that I obtained before autographs were included in products.

1990 Topps - Frank Thomas
I bought this after a signing at Chicago Ridge Mall when Frank was there for a signing in his rookie year. The shop always had the signers autograph extra to sell at the shop later. I took one look at the lines for Frank and decided it would be a wise move to come back after the signing to get my autograph. One of the best decisions I ever made!


1990 Upper Deck - Carlton Fisk
The same shop had a Fisk combo autographed card and ball. I saved up and purchased this shortly after the Frank Thomas.

1985 Donruss - Harold Baines
The card was picked up at a card show in 1995. I was rifling through the autographed cards, just to see if they had anything interesting. I had stopped collecting, but my friend thought it would be fun to attend a show at the local K of C. I came with no shopping agenda, but I saw this card cheap and snatched it up. I added an autographed ball about ten years later and tracked down a ball/card display holder and that is how it has stayed.

Other cards that were considered.

1993 Upper Deck - Jason Bere
1989 Topps - Andre Dawson
1990 Leaf - Shawn Boskie

All were cards that I picked up in my youth, before an autograph was expected out of a pack.

4 comments:

Collective Troll said...

I had a feeling that yours might be Sox cards... This was a fun challenge...

Steve Gierman said...

It almost wasn't. The Shawn Boskie almost cracked the top 3. I would put his autographed card at number 4. One day, I will show that autograph too.

Somewhere, there is also a Sammy Sosa 1990 Topps autographed card lying around in a plaque.

Charley said...

I would like to see that Andre Dawson autograph. Nice blog, I hope to see Harold in the Hall too, after Andre of course.

Charley
Andre Dawson for the Hall of Fame
http://www.hawk4thehall.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Nice-Frank's signature when you could make out more than 1 or two letters. :-) Now it looks more like a tornado than "Frank Thomas." Even so, he is one of the nicest players I have ever met, despite all of the criticism he has received from the media.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...