Monday, February 4, 2019

2017 Topps Fire

This 200 card set burst onto the scene in September 2017. Immediately this release reminds me of 1995 Fleer, but only slightly. It comes with the base card and nine parallels.

The set stands out a bit from the rest of the pack. It looks like nothing else out there, in terms of releases. I'm not so much reminded of fire with the design, but more of a vortex with a player in the middle. It's an interesting choice nonetheless. It works for this set though.

I like when a card set is a little bit out there and separates itself from the rest. When I opened my first pack, this was a breath of fresh air. While the design did get a bit repetitive, seeing that card after card, I still appreciated the effort. The work that went into the design helped soften the blow.

I remember saying to myself, "What is this?", when I opened that first pack. It was both an exclamation of wonderment and perplexed fascination. I haven't had those conflicted feelings in awhile.

The White Sox have seven cards in this set.

16 - Paul Konerko
44 - Frank Thomas
63 - Reynaldo Lopez
100 - Yoan Moncada
177 - Carson Fulmer
178 - Jose Abreu
184 - Lucas Giolito

This is a really good mix of past players, rookies and current players. While this release isn't going to set the world on fire, it does offer a different look with an artistic flair. Sometimes all you need is something to set yourself apart from the rest. This set delivers on that.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...