Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Blog Bat Around: 30 Teams 30 Players

OK. I haven't participated in one of these in years. Mostly, it's because by the time I run across them, it is way too late to participate. I'm only a month behind most everyone else, so let's give this a shot.

The idea is to take each current MLB team and show the player that you associate with the team. I'm not sure if this is the way that you play, but I decided to show the first player that popped in my head when I thought of that team. The results may differ from day to day, but these are the results for today.

Arizona Diamondbacks
1999 Pacific Revolution #7 - Luis Gonzalez

There are lots I can think of now, but when I was pressed for an answer, out came Luis.


Atlanta Braves
1991 Score #671 - Chipper Jones

I can think of others, but this is a solid.


Baltimore Orioles
1958 Topps #307 - Brooks Robinson
 
Huh? I would have thought Cal Ripken Jr., but there ya go.


Boston Red Sox
1982 Brigham's Coca-Cola Boston Red Sox #6 - Dwight Evans
 
It's gotta be the mustache. Just gotta be.


Chicago Cubs
1888 Goodwin Champions (N162) - Cap Anson

My brain went really old school for this one. Maybe it's because I keep running into people who have no idea he's a Cub and think he's associated with the current White Sox.


Chicago White Sox
1983 True Value Chicago White Sox #2 - Harold Baines
 
The newest White Sox member of the Hall of Fame. Sorry, haters.


Cincinnati Reds
1977 Kellogg's 3-D #20 - Pete Rose
 
That insult about a Pete Rose haircut? That's 70's Pete and it's fantastic.


Cleveland Indians
1991 Bowman #68 - Jim Thome

The Gentleman Masher. Classic.


Colorado Rockies
2007 Topps Rookie 1952 Edition #157 - Darren Clarke
 
It's probably because of this.


Detroit Tigers
1981 Topps Coke Detroit Tigers #10 - Lou Whitaker
 
C'mon. It's Lou!


Houston Astros
1990 Baseball Card Magazine '69 Topps Replicas #1 - Craig Biggio
 
One of the "B"s.


Kansas City Royals
2015 Stadium Club #210 - George Brett
 
Classic photo that inspired a song.


Los Angeles Angels
1987 Classic Yellow #134 - Gary Pettis
 
Always loved to watch Gary play.


Los Angeles Dodgers
1947 Bond Bread - Portrait, Glove In Air - Jackie Robinson

I just watched "42" the other day.


Miami Marlins
2016 Topps Opening Day - Opening Day Stars #ODS21 - Giancarlo Stanton
 
Maybe it's that large contract he signed.


Milwaukee Brewers
1979 Topps #-95 - Robin Yount
 
That's what I expected out of me.
 
 
Minnesota Twins
1993 Topps Gold #200 - Kirby Puckett
 
This too, is what I expected out of me.


New York Mets
1991 Fleer Pro Vision #7 - Dwight Gooden
 
He had a pretty good run.
 
 
New York Yankees
1985 Donruss Action All-Stars #48 - Don Mattingly
 
I always thought he looked like my cousin Carl.

Oakland Athletics
1972 Topps #435 - Reggie Jackson
 
One of the first cards with his mustache.
 
 
Philadelphia Phillies
1982 Donruss #294 Mike Schmidt
 
How can you grow up in the 70s and 80s without thinking of Mike Schmidt?


Pittsburgh Pirates
1973 Topps Pin Ups - Willie Stargell
 
Other days it would have been Dave Parker, but Cobra will take a back seat to Pops.


San Diego Padres
2001 Topps Stars #200 - Jake Peavy
 
Jake Peavy? I would have thought Tony Gwynn. Probably the White Sox connection. Remember, these were quick responses.


San Francisco Giants
2009 TriStar Obak #23 - Buster Posey
 
I can see that.


Seattle Mariners
1990 Leaf #299 -Edgar Martinez
 
No Griffey Jr.? Solid choice though.
 
 
St. Louis Cardinals
1984 Ralston Purina #2 - Ozzie Smith
 
The Wizard!!!


Tampa Bay Rays
2005 Bowman Heritage #119 - Scott Kazmir
 
Yup. In hindsight, I thought it would have been Wade Boggs.


Texas Rangers
1991 Studio #124 - Juan Gonzalez
 
So many Rangers. He popped up. Probably because he disappointed me when I went to Comerica Park. He was about the only thing to see on that horrid team and he was out injured.


Toronto Blue Jays
1983 O-Pee-Chee #294 - Alfredo Griffin
 
The Topps version of this card was in the first pack I ever opened. I always appreciated Alfredo Griffin since that day.
 
 
Washington Nationals
2017 Topps Triple Threads #1 - Bryce Harper
 
He's in my news feed several times a day for not doing something. How can he not be on my mind?


Bonus Teams!

 
Teams that used to be, then moved and changed their names.

Montreal Expos
1976 Hostess #62 - Gary Carter
 
I loved to watch the Kid play.


St. Louis Browns
1940 Play Ball #179 - George Sisler
 
I'll confess there really isn't many players that I associate with the Browns.
 
 
Seattle Pilots
2004 Fleer Greats Of The Game #115 - Jim Bouton
 
The Pilot I remember best.


Washington Senators
 1960 Topps #210 - Harmon Killebrew
 
Great name from the end of the Washington era for this pre-Twins team.
 
 
Washington Senators
1969 Topps #650 - Ted Williams 

One of the few names I remember without much thought on this pre-Rangers team.


Alright. The thought process did not take long at all. Maybe thirty seconds for the whole exercise. Transferring the information and finding examples of cards took the longest. I had a blast doing this!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...