Thursday, January 21, 2010

2010 Fisk Chasing

It's already been reported earlier by Stale Gum and bdj610's Topps Baseball Card Blog that there is a new short print variation in the new 2010 Topps base set.

I welcome the extra cards, but once again Topps is the leader in frustrating checklists. For just one year, I'd like Topps products to have very simple transparent checklists. I don't mind variations and short prints. I relish their existence. I, however, do mind when we have to discover and track down each variation, not knowing if our search is over.

This is especially frustrating for the team collector, the player collector and the master set collector. The first two of those categories I fall into. Basically, that means that I will be chasing down two copies of this variation. One for the team collection and one for the player collection.

I can really feel for Yankee collectors. They are subject to more cards than they will ever be able to collect. Even with Trump type money at their disposal. The 1/1 cards must be a Yankee fan killer!

I feel absolutely sorry for the Mickey Mantle collectors. Thanks to Topps' Mantle-lust, there were more cards produced in 2007 of Mantle, than in his entire lifetime. I couldn't even begin to imagine the frustration of a Mickey Mantle collector. Do you spend a fortune on one rookie card or the 5,365 technically different cards that were produced in 2007 alone?

It's times like that that make me glad I'm a White Sox collector and a player collector of only a few players, most of which are relatively cheap to pick up. Well, except for Joe Jackson. That's a different story altogether.

3 comments:

James B. Anama said...

I really do like that old logo on the card and the iconic yellow guard rails in the background at Comiskey. I still miss the old place, and I only went to three games in it's lifetime.

Sincerely,

JayBee Anama
bdj610

Steve Gierman said...

I like the inclusion of the old logo too. The old place was my sanctuary as a kid. I knew the ins and outs of that place better than any kid back then.

Anonymous said...

What I liked about Old Comiskey was how close you could get to the relievers as they were warming up in the bullpen. In the one game I went to (in 1989) I was *this close* to the great Eck.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...