Friday, January 29, 2010

Card Spotlight: 1-29-10

1993 Score Select Rookie/Traded #3T - Tim Belcher

In 1993, the White Sox were on the verge of making the playoffs, which they eventually did. One move that everybody thought would put them over the top and deep into the playoffs was the acquisition of Tim Belcher.

Despite Tim's questionable performances during the latter half of the season, after he was traded to Chicago, Belcher sparkled in relief against the Blue Jays in the postseason and came away with a win in Game 4 of the ALCS in 1993. I was very psyched when the Sox got Tim Belcher. I'm not exactly sure why. It must have been from his time as a Dodger and as a Red. After the White Sox, Belcher had a down year with Detroit, followed by a number of average years.

This is a card that has escaped me for the better part of two decades. I really wasn't aware of its existence until a few years ago. I finally received the card in a trade. 1993 was the year that my interest in cards started to wane a bit. One of the last packs that I collected in 1993 was Score Select. I remember not being very impressed by the design. It's still not one of my favorites, but it has grown on me over the years.

The rookie/traded set is a vast improvement over the base set. A little color change makes the difference. Here is another example of a card set that I wasn't aware of back then, being a possible reason for the continuation of my collecting. I may have held on a little stronger, until the 1994 strike crushed my interest for good in the nineties.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...